Manager, Internal Communications and Employee Engagement
Location: London, Ontario
Manager, Internal Communications and Employee Engagement
StarTech.com is a global manufacturer of hard-to-find connectivity parts. We make it easy
for IT professionals around the globe to find and get the part they need to enable their business solutions.
Founded in 1985, in London, Ontario, StarTech.com has operations in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom servicing over 35,000 resellers worldwide.
We innovate, design and make a wide range of unique, specialized or hard-to-find parts
and accessories that connect and enhance business technology. Our friendly, professional and responsive employees, proprietary web resources and channel partners ensure that the right product is delivered to the IT professional.
StarTech.com is currently listed as a 50 Best Managed Company in Canada, one of Canada’s 50 Best Small & Medium Employers and is an honoree on the INC 5000 list of the fastest growing private companies in the United States for six consecutive years.
The role of Manager, Internal Communications and Employee Engagement
at StarTech.com is to create a strong internal brand (brand consciousness) and best-in-class levels of employee engagement (performance) through the development of professional internal communications.
Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer, this position is responsible for developing and promoting consistent communication within the company in support of StarTech.com’s brand and the development and promotion within the community.
Engagement and Communications Portfolio
- Develop compelling stories to generate strong understanding of our brand, strategy and performance among our team members
- Serve as the employee brand ambassador within the community through various communication channels
- Manage the process to collect, filter and prioritize communication requests
- Create and execute communication plans, announcements, presentations, talking points and Q&A’s in support of strategic objectives
- Provide communications structure and follow industry and company best practices in an environment with fast-paced and complex messaging needs
- Serve as a strong Globally focused partner supporting companywide communications through critical insight into cultural nuances
Experience, Skills and Competencies required:
- Leverages expertise and experience to advance StarTech.com’s employment brand (external and internal) and help team members understand and engage with StarTech.com
- Collaborates with company leadership team to ensure flawless and coordinated execution around communication plans involving our business while applying a culturally relevant lens around change management
- Work with HR team to understand culture change required across organization, and utilize communications strategies and techniques to bring about organizational change
- Utilizing appropriate communications strategies, work with HR to develop Employee Engagement plans in order to promote staff loyalty and satisfaction
- Continuous improvement of core internal communication channels and establishment of new channels using the full range of tools including but not limited to newsletters, events, intranet, fireside chats, town hall briefings
- Take ownership of the intranet and develop this as a key channel for communication
- Develop a network of internal communication champions within each business unit to stimulate content and provide feedback for internal communication activity
- Working closely with the HR team and other corporate departments, develop plans to communicate specific initiatives within a structured and coherent framework
- Work with functional departments to develop communication plans specific to each team which support the Corporate Communications strategy but support flow of information at a more focused level
- Participate in the development of a new global internal communication platform to enable greater knowledge sharing and collaboration worldwide
- Assist in the development of messaging, discussion guides, toolkits, and training to strengthen the communication skills of managers
- Bachelor's Degree (English, Communications or Journalism concentrations preferred)
- An understanding of communication theory and how it could apply to StarTech.com’s internal /community information needs, and how it supports business objectives that drive employee engagement
- 5+ years’ experience in internal and corporate communications within small/medium business
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong judgment, leadership, and integrity
- Strong organizational skills and capable of juggling a large amount of detail and work volume
- Self -starter with high energy and good project management skills who can assist in developing communication skills among leaders and employees
- Ability to collaborate with a varied group of senior executives and leaders while building strong working relationships with key partners
- Knowledge and application of change management
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, prioritize and deliver programs and tactics on time in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Multi-lingual is an asset; cultural awareness through study, work and/or travelling is an asset
- Previous experience in HR or a strong understanding of the HR function is an asset
Our core business hours are Monday – Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm.
If you want to join a successful, growing and dynamic entrepreneurial company that provides competitive compensation and benefits, please submit your resume in confidence by applying on-line directly to www.startech.com/careers
We appreciate all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.No phone calls please.